Padres to sign injured Marine as minor league pitcher
SAN DIEGO -- A Marine who lost a finger on his left hand while serving in Iraq has agreed to terms with the San Diego Padres, the team said Monday.
Right-hander Cooper Brannan will report to minor league spring training March 1. The 22-year-old injured his left hand during a second tour of duty in Iraq. Team spokesman George Stieren said Brannan lost his left pinky.
The team planned to announce the signing at a news conference Tuesday at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego.
Brannan was born in Houston and attended high school in Gilbert, Ariz.
Stieren said Padres general manager Kevin Towers "was adamant that we were doing this because of his potential, not because it was a great story.
"This was a legitimate baseball decision."
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Rangers to sign Choo for $130M
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Alleged kidnapping of Rangers' Martin detailed
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Photo File San Diego Padres Team Logo Framed Photo