For personal reasons, Damon will miss time in camp
"I think it's going to be some time," manager Joe Torre said Saturday. "A few days or something. He has some personal things he has to attend to, and we just gave him that ability."
Damon was given permission to leave camp after talking with Torre and general manager Brian Cashman following Friday's workout.
"He spoke to Joe and me about it, so obviously he's not in camp with permission," Cashman said. "When he returns, he'll be able to talk about it to whatever degree he wants to."
Damon, slowed by a sore shoulder and a broken bone in his foot last season, hit .285 with 24 homers and 80 RBIs in 149 games.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- A's trade Donaldson to Toronto for Lawrie
- Report: Cuban slugger to D-backs for $68.5M
- Cubs: Strop avoids injury in car accident
- Frasor, Royals reach one-year, $1.8M deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
SPRING TRAINING NEWS
Follow the day's news from spring training in the Grapefruit and Cactus leagues as we begin the countdown toward Opening Day on Sunday (Mets at world champion Cardinals, 8 p.m. ET, ESPN2):
• Colon, Weaver, Figgins on DL
• Pirates send Sanchez to the DL
• Rogers has clot removed, will miss first half
• Sabathia throws, says he's ready for opener
• Pavano to start Opening Day for Yankeees
• A's put Dan Johnson on DL with hip injury
• Walker signs minor league deal with A's
• Grapefruit: Towers wins spot in Jays' rotation
• Cactus: Big Unit to start season on DL