Rockies place RHP Lopez on disabled list
Lopez allowed a run in four innings Wednesday night before leaving the game with tightness in his right elbow. He missed his start Sunday in Arizona because of inflammation in his right elbow.
Lopez was 1-0 with a 1.59 ERA in three starts.
"It was the smart thing and the right thing to do," said Colorado manager Clint Hurdle.
To fill the roster spot, the Rockies purchased the contract of right-hand pitcher Matt Herges from Triple A Colorado Springs. Herges pitched 5 2/3 innings in four relief appearances at Colorado Springs.
The Rockies have been bitten hard by the injury bug this week. On Monday, they placed pitcher Byung-Hyun Kim on the 15-day disabled list with a thumb injury. And on Sunday, infielder Kaz Matsui went to the 15-day DL with back spasms.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Party Animal Colorado Rockies Garden/Window Flag