Jays to put Zaun on DL with injured hand
BOSTON -- Toronto catcher Gregg Zaun will be placed on the 15-day disabled list after injuring his right hand in Tuesday night's game against Boston.
He will be replaced on the Blue Jays' roster by Sal Fasano.
Zaun was injured on the base of the thumb in the first inning when he was hit by Eric Hinske's foul ball. He remained in the game after some practice throws, but walked off the field after warming up Roy Halladay in the middle of the third inning.
Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi said Zaun had a scan that was inconclusive, so he will see a hand specialist in Baltimore on Wednesday.
Jason Phillips replaced Zaun in the lineup. Fasano was to be recalled from Triple-A Syracuse on Wednesday, when Zaun is placed on the DL.
"The nice thing is we've got Fasano to come up," Ricciardi said. "Between him and Phillips, we've got a veteran presence."
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Rangers to sign Choo for $130M
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Alleged kidnapping of Rangers' Martin detailed
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Toronto Blue Jays Executive Royal Crew Neck Sweater