Beckett to miss 2 starts while torn flap of skin heals
BOSTON -- Josh Beckett is headed for the disabled list because of a finger injury and is expected to miss two starts before returning for Boston's home game May 29 against Cleveland.
Fantasy Focus on Beckett
With Red Sox ace Josh Beckett out of the short-term mix, Matthew Berry and Nate Ravitz fill you in on who should replace him on your roster. Listen
Beckett, baseball's winningest pitcher at 7-0, is recovering from a torn flap of skin on the middle finger of his throwing hand. The right-hander will throw on the side before Friday night's game against Atlanta, which he had been scheduled to start.
The Red Sox said Beckett would go on the disabled list Friday and right-hander Devern Hansack would be recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket to face the Braves. So far this year, no member of the Red Sox's rotation has missed a game because of an injury.
"We included him in this decision a lot," manager Terry Francona said of Beckett. "He was very thoughtful and conscientious in what he was saying to us and we talked to him for a long time about it."
He said "nothing went backward at all," in Beckett's recovery. "He will prepare to start in the 29th," Francona said.
The finger injury forced Beckett out of last Sunday's 6-5 win over Baltimore after four innings. He had won his other seven starts and has a 2.66 ERA.
With Florida in 2002, Beckett's first full season in the majors, blisters on the middle finger sent him to the disabled list three times. In 2004, he made three more trips to the disabled list, two of them because of injuries to that finger. He stayed off the list last season, his first with the Red Sox.
Hansack will start his second stint with Boston. He was called up May 3 when reliever Mike Timlin went on the disabled list and returned there May 11. In his only appearance, he allowed one run in 2/3 of an inning on May 8 against Toronto.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Beltran, Yanks reach 3-year deal
- Source: Cano, M's agree on $240M deal
- Beard is back: Napoli, Red Sox agree to deal
- Sources: Mets, Granderson agree on $60M