Chipper Jones gets 2,000th hit
Jones added hit No. 2,001 in the seventh on a double, his 15th of the season.
Jones needs two more doubles to join Hall of Famer Eddie Murray and Chili Davis as the only switch hitters with 2,000 hits, 400 doubles and 350 home runs. Jones has 369 career homers, two behind Braves legend Dale Murphy on the team's all-time list.
The 35-year-old lined a 1-0 pitch from Cleveland starter Fausto Carmona to left-center in the second. It was Jones' eighth hit in 16 at-bats in four games since being activated from the disabled list. He had been sidelined since May 25 with a hand injury.
Jones got his first big league hit in his first at-bat in the majors on Sept. 14, 1993, when he had a pinch-hit single against Cincinnati Reds reliever Kevin Wickander. He reached the 1,000-hit milestone on Aug. 18, 2000, with a single against Livan Hernandez of the San Francisco Giants.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees fan returns lost Red Sox title ring
- Lane change: Ex-OF gets 1st start for Padres
- Dodgers land 2B Barney in deal with Cubs
- Rays activate Peralta from DL; Bedard DFA'd
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Extended Sizes - Majestic Men's Authentic Atlanta Braves Evan Gattis #24 Cool Base Home White Jersey w/ Patch