<
>

White Sox GM Williams has no immediate plans for trades

CHICAGO -- White Sox general manager Ken Williams said
Monday he has no immediate plans to break up the team with trades
in the wake of Chicago's miserable slide. But he's willing to do
what is needed if there is no improvement.

"It's very difficult for me to put my arms around the concept
of being the so-called 'sellers' when my mind-set for seven years
has been 'buy' and even buy in terms of the times we've had to
sell," Williams said.

"We still bought in a way that would prepare us to compete for
the now and tomorrow, so this is going to be a difficult one."

After losing 17 of 21 games before playing Florida on Monday,
the White Sox found themselves nine games under .500 and in a deep
fourth-place hole in the talented AL Central.

Left-hander Mark Buehrle and outfielder Jermaine Dye are
eligible for free agency after the season and could be attractive
to teams in playoff contention.

Williams, who built the team that won the World Series in 2005,
has no explanation for the White Sox's slide that has featured
surprising struggles at the plate from the likes of Dye, Paul Konerko and Joe Crede, who underwent back surgery last week. And
before Monday, Chicago's bullpen had a 9-12 record, 5.88 ERA and 11
blown saves.

Williams said he asks himself when it will end. "Is today going
to be the day, geez? We can't possibly continue to play this
poorly," he said.

But they have.

Williams met with manager Ozzie Guillen and Konerko on Monday to
get a feel for the climate in the clubhouse. His sense is, he said,
that the team believes once injured outfielders Scott Podsednik and
Darin Erstad return from the disabled list, they'll be more
competitive.

"We're not giving up," Williams said. "I can't recall a
stretch, at least within the last seven years, that we've played
this poorly.

"And I'm comfortable that the players are continuing to fight.
... I think we can stand behind them as long as it makes sense to
stand behind them. ... When it slaps you in the face too that OK
you're still in that mode, you'd better reassess and possibly
redirect things."

Williams declined to be specific about the possibility or
re-signing Buehrle. Buehrle passed on a new deal in the middle of
last season, one that reportedly guaranteed more than $30 million
over three years.

Buehrle, who threw a no-hitter earlier this season, is hearing
trade rumors.

"People text me saying, 'I heard you are going there or I heard
you are going here.' It's kind of funny because of all the rumors
you hear," Buehrle said.

Asked if he could envision being traded, he said:

"Yes and no. I can see why I would be, the way we are playing
and the baseball side of it. But then again I want to spend my
whole career here."