Brewers agree to deal with seventh overall pick LaPorta
MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Brewers agreed Monday to a contract with Matt LaPorta, giving the seventh selection in this year's amateur draft a signing bonus of about $2 million.
A senior left fielder and first baseman at the University of Florida, LaPorta was selected Southeastern Conference Player of the Year in 2005 and this season, when he hit .402 with 20 homers, 52 RBIs and 55 walks.
He is a finalist for the Golden Spikes Award, given annually to the top amateur baseball player.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Emotional Thomas, Torre headline HOF class
- Ortiz's homer reignites Red Sox-Rays rivalry
- Yankees fan returns lost Red Sox title ring
- Dodgers best Peavy, Giants to cap off sweep
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Milwaukee Brewers Cooperstown Fan V-Neck Royal/Yellow Half-Sleeve Shirt