Mets' Gomez out 6-8 weeks with broken hand
Gomez, 21, broke the hamate bone in his hand on a check swing in the sixth inning of the Mets' 17-7 loss to Colorado on Wednesday, assistant general manager John Ricco said.
Gomez flew to Houston with the team, then caught a morning flight back to New York, where he had surgery scheduled for Thursday night. He was hitting .250 with two homers and 11 RBIs in 42 games.
"It was bothering him. He was in pain,'' said Mets manager Willie Randolph.
The Mets recalled David Newhan from Triple-A New Orleans to replace Gomez on the roster.
Newhan hit .200 in 41 games with the Mets this season before he was optioned to New Orleans on June 8. He hit .338 with two homers and 12 RBIs in 21 games for the Zephyrs.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
- Rockies get OF Stubbs in trade with Indians
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear New York Mets Classic Keychain