Padres place Young on DL, call up Stauffer
Young left the Padres' game against the Colorado Rockies on Tuesday with a strained oblique muscle. The 28-year-old Young leads the major leagues with a 1.82 ERA.
Padres manager Bud Black said the team expected the right-hander to recover within two weeks.
The 25-year-old Stauffer appeared in 15 games with the Padres in 2005, but only one in 2006. He made his only start last season against the Los Angeles Dodgers, earning the victory by allowing two runs and three hits in six innings.
"He's capable of another good start," Black said. "He's had a number of major league starts. He's been in big-league camp a couple of years. He's had success. Now, he just has to come in here tomorrow and pitch his game, make his pitches."
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Pineda ejected for foreign substance on neck
- Tommy John stunned by surgery 'epidemic'
- Reds' Chapman faces hitters, is 'electrifying'
- Diamondbacks' Trumbo (foot) heads to DL
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's San Diego Padres 39Thirty Neo Navy Flex Hat