Santana: 'It doesn't make any sense for me to be here'
The Minnesota Twins didn't add any players but did subtract their starting second baseman at the trade deadline. And after watching his front office's inactivity, ace Johan Santana reportedly didn't hide his disappointment.
"It's not just about hope," Santana told The Star Tribune. "In a realistic world, you have to really make it happen and go for it.
"You always talk about future, future. ... But if you only worry about the future, then I guess a lot of us won't be part of it," Santana told the newspaper.
Santana can be a free agent after the 2008 season. The only move Minnesota made before the non-waiver trade deadline was to send second baseman Luis Castillo to the New York Mets for two minor league prospects.
"Why waste time when you're talking about something that's always going to be like that? It's never going to be beyond this point," Santana told the newspaper. "It doesn't make any sense for me to be here, you know?"
The native of Venezuela won his second AL Cy Young award in three years in 2006, taking the pitching triple crown in the American League with 19 victories, a 2.77 ERA and 245 strikeouts. In addition, Santana led the league in starts (34) and innings pitched (232).
This season, Santana is 11-8 with a 2.92 ERA for the third-place Twins, who are six games back in the AL Central. He currently is second in the AL with 156 strikeouts.
Santana is making $12.2 million this season, the third of a four-year, $39.7 million deal he signed with the Twins in February 2005.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nats' Werth to serve 5 days for driving 105
- Minaya leaves Padres to be MLBPA adviser
- McCain: Time to talk legalizing sports betting
- Pearce, O's agree to $3.7M, 1-year contract
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
JULY 31 TRADE DEADLINE
The Braves made the biggest splash before Major League Baseball's non-waiver trading deadline, acquiring switch-hitting slugger Mark Teixeira and hard-throwing reliever Octavio Dotel. The Red Sox also bolstered their bullpen with Eric Gagne.
• Braves get Teixeira, Dotel
• Red Sox deal for Gagne
• Giants swap Morris for Pirates rookie Davis
• Dodgers send Betemit to Yanks for Proctor
• Padres acquire Ensberg, Mackowiak
• Red Sox deal Pineiro to Cards
• Phils get reliever Mateo from Mariners
• Mets fill second base void with Twins' Castillo
• Phillies deal for righty Lohse from Reds
In the past week
• Astros deal Wheeler to Rays for Wigginton
• Reds get Cantu from Rays
• Phils get Iguchi from White Sox
• Rangers deal Lofton to Indians
• Padres get Hairston from D-backs
• Brewers get Linebrink from Padres
• Stark: Assessing the deadline deals
• Stark Market
• Trade scorecard
• Olney: Rangers did well with haul
• Fantasy: Deadline winners, losers
• Baseball America analysis
• Nelson: Trade can be hard on family
• Vote: Winners and losers?