O's Baez takes over as closer while Ray does DL stint
Baez had 71 saves with Tampa Bay during the 2004-05 seasons.
"He's closed games before," Orioles manager Dave Trembley said before Friday night's game against the Devil Rays. "He's got the most experience."
Ray was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right elbow strain on July 25. Ray, is 5-6 with 16 saves, hasn't been cleared to resume throwing.
Third baseman Melvin Mora, sidelined since July 13 by a sprained foot, went 2-for-4 with a double in a minor league rehab game with the Gulf Coast League Orioles. He is scheduled to play with GCL team again Saturday and could rejoin the Orioles on Sunday.
"He did very well," Trembley said. "He reported no discomfort, no pain."
Outfielder Freddie Bynum, out with a strained left hamstring, was set to play this weekend with Class-A Frederick and Double-A Bowie.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Stanton's walk-off GS lifts Marlins over M's
- Pujols belts No. 497 in Angels' rout of Tigers
- Mets trade 1B Davis to Pirates for reliever
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Youth Baltimore Orioles 59Fifty Diamond Tech Orange/Black Batting Practice Hat