Red Sox, seeking OF depth, sign Kielty to minor league deal
Kielty, 31, was assigned to Triple-A Pawtucket and is expected to report Wednesday.
A switch-hitter, Kielty had just seven hits in 35 at-bats for the Athletics before he was released on July 31. He spent a month on the disabled list due to a strained left calf.
Kielty has hit .255 with 52 homers and 244 RBIs in 579 career games with Minnesota, Toronto and Oakland.
The Red Sox have been looking for an extra outfielder because Wily Mo Pena is hitting .218 with five homers in 147 at-bats this season. Attempts to acquire Jermaine Dye from the Chicago White Sox at the trading deadline were not successful.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mag: Puig subjected to threats, civil lawsuit
- Tanaka leads Yanks; 28 K's in 1st 3 games
- Bradley, Boston win Sox battle in 14
- Astros call up prized outfield prospect Springer
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Oakland Athletics Team-Colored Frozen Rope Necklace