Modern-day record (since 1900)
The Rangers set the record with 30 runs in a game.
The previous mark was 29:
• June 8, 1950 by Red Sox vs. Browns
• April 23, 1955 by White Sox vs. Athletics
30 runs, the last time
The last time a team scored 30-plus runs it was the all-time record:
• 36 runs on June 29, 1897: The Chicago Colts (now Cubs) scored 36 against the Louisville Colonels.
Two teammates with seven RBIs
Four teammates with four RBIs
The Rangers are the first team with four players with four RBIs (Travis Metcalf, Marlon Byrd, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Ramon Vazquez) since the Phillies on May 17, 1979 (Pete Rose, Garry Maddox, Mike Schmidt, Bob Boone)
The Orioles led this game ...
Remember, the Orioles led the game 3-0 after three innings. This is the first time ever that a team scored 30 unanswered runs.
Margin of victory
The 27-run margin of victory is the largest since the Chicago Colts (now the Cubs) won by 29 runs in a 36-7 win over the Louisville Colonels.
The Rangers are in last place
A last-place team scoring 20 runs in a game sounds rare, right?
The last team to do so was the Rockies, who won 20-8 over the Giants on Sept. 18, 2006.
• The Rangers had totaled two runs and 30 K in their previous two games.
• They had scored 28 runs in their last nine games
• The Orioles had allowed 26 runs in their last eight games, and three runs or fewer in their previous three games.
• In this game: June 29, 1897 Chicago Colts (now Cubs) scored 36 against the Louisville Colonels, won 36-7. Foul balls did not count as strikes, so it was "easier" to score runs.
• And in perhaps the most general and simple -- yet stupefying -- stat of the game is that the Rangers were held scoreless in more innings (five) than innings they actually scored (four).
• A pitcher (Wes Littleton) got a save in a 27-run win.
• The Nos. 7-9 hitters for the Rangers were 13-19 with 14 runs scored and 16 RBI.
• The Rangers set a team record for runs in a doubleheader with their total from the first game.
• On their first trip though the order, the Rangers were 1-for-9 (.111). They went 28-for-48 (.583) the rest of the game.
The 30-run explosion came in the first game of a doubleheader. The Rangers also took the second game, 9-7.
The Rangers' 39 total runs in the doubleheader are the second most in MLB history, and an AL record. The MLB record for the most runs by a single team in a doubleheader is 43 by the Boston Braves vs. the Cincinnati Reds on Aug. 21, 1894. The previous AL record for the most runs by a single team in a doubleheader was 36 by the Detroit Tigers vs. the St. Louis Browns on Aug. 14, 1937.
The MLB record for the most runs by a single team in a doubleheader is 43 by the Boston Braves vs the Cincinnati Reds on Aug. 21, 1894.
30 runs by road teams
The 30 runs in a game tie an ancient all-time record for most runs by a road team. On June 26, 1890, in the Players League, the Philadelphia Quakers scored 30 runs against the Buffalo Bisons.
Rangers set team record, in hits
The 29 hits set a Rangers team record.
It's the most in a game since Brewers had 31 against the Blue Jays, Aug. 28, 1992.
Nine runs in two innings
It's the sixth time ever that a team has scored nine-plus runs in two innings, and it's the first time since the 1943 Dodgers (July 10 vs. Pirates, two 10-run innings)
There were 256 NFL games last season. In 165 of those 256 games, a team did not score 30 points. In other words, 64.5 percent of NFL games last season did not see a team score 30 points.
The Orioles gave up 30 runs in one game. The Ravens, who play across the parking lot from the Orioles, haven't allowed 30 points since Week 12 in 2005 (42 points vs. Bengals)
Four major sports -- modern-day scoring records
The results of allowing/scoring runs
• Rangers team batting average went from .255 to .258
In relation to around the league
Among pitchers with at least 20 starts this season, San Diego's Chris Young has allowed the fewest ER -- with 32!
• Arizona's Brandon Webb has allowed 26 ER -- in his last 17 starts.
• The Angels' Garret Anderson has 30 RBIs in his last 27 games.
• In the month of August, the MLB leader in RBIs is Atlanta's Mark Teixeira with 26. The leaders in runs scored are Houston's Lance Berkman, Colorado's Kazuo Matsui, Alex Rodriguez and Bobby Abreu of the Yankees and the Mets' David Wrightwith 20 each. The leader in hits is Tampa Bay's Carl Crawford with 35.
• The MLB leader this season in four-hit games is Colorado's Troy Tulowitzki with three. The Rangers had three get four or more hits in this game.
For entertainment purposes only
• The over/under for runs scored in the 30-3 game was nine. The Rangers beat that in one inning and tied it in another.
• The over/under for the amount of runs the Rangers would score was four. The Rangers beat that in four separate innings.
• You could bet on the total hits/runs/errors for both teams combined. The total was 27.5. The Rangers exceeded that total in hits and runs alone.
30 runs and Little League
Thirty runs scored sounds something straight out of the Little League World Series, doesn't it? Well, the Rangers' output is one more run than the most runs ever scored in any Little League World Series game. The Dominican Republic scored 29 runs against Valleyfield, Quebec, Canada, in 1992.