Eyre to undergo Tommy John surgery, expected to miss '08 season
Eyre was placed on the disabled list last Saturday because of elbow stiffness, but further tests determined the right-hander would need elbow reconstruction surgery.
"He's had a big workload this season," Texas manager Ron Washington said. "He's saved us many times. We thought it was just soreness at first."
Eyre, in his second major league season, was 4-6 this season with a 5.16 ERA in 33 games. Eyre was primarily used in middle relief, but he also started two games.
Rangers team physician Dr. Keith Meister will perform the surgery.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB briefs managers, GMs on replay system
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- Reports: Yanks nix Gardner-for-Phillips deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Soft As A Grape Women's Texas Rangers Charcoal T-Shirt