Cardinals get Branyan from Phillies to bolster offense
Branyan is a .229 hitter with 120 homers and 298 RBIs. He hit a career-high 24 homers with the Indians and Reds in 2002.
Branyan batted a combined .198 with nine homers and 24 RBIs this year for the Phillies and Padres. He was released by the Padres on July 28, signed with Cleveland on Aug. 7, then was traded to Philadelphia two days later.
Branyan played one game for Cleveland's Triple-A Buffalo affiliate before changing teams. He hit a pair of homers for the Phillies, including a two-run pinch-hit drive on Aug. 14 at Washington to win 3-2. He had a two-homer game against the Cardinals on May 11 at San Diego.
During his career, Branyan has played at third base, first base and outfield.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Pujols goes yard twice to join 500 HR club
- Ellsbury helps Yankees romp in Fenway return
- Fernandez strikes out 14, wins pitchers' duel
- MLB suspends Gomez, Maldonado, others
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Philadelphia Phillies Fan V-Neck Royal Half Sleeve Shirt