O's Trembley suspended three games, Cabrera six
Trembley was suspended for three games because he followed his ejection from Wednesday's 18-6 loss to the Los Angeles Angels with an animated tirade near second base.
Cabrera was suspended for six games for intentionally throwing a pitch at the head of Boston's Dustin Pedroia on Sept. 7 and his part in the bench-clearing incident that followed.
Both Trembley and Cabrera also were fined undisclosed amounts.
Trembley began serving his suspension Thursday against the Angels. Cabrera will appeal his suspension and will be able to play until the appeal is addressed.
In a pregame news conference Thursday, Trembley said he expected to hear from the league regarding a suspension. When asked if he would be surprised if he was not allowed to manage Thursday night, he said: "They'd have to give me a real good reason why I wouldn't."
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Red Sox trade Lester to A's for Cespedes
- Source: Cardinals get Lackey from Red Sox
- Athletics send LHP Milone to Twins for Fuld
- Presidential farewell: Jeter honored by Bush
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Authentic Baltimore Orioles Manny Machado #13 Cool Base Batting Practice Jersey