NL could be in playoff tiebreakers until Thursday
Updated: September 28, 2007, 3:15 AM ETBy Jayson Stark | ESPN.com
If you think the National League standings are making you blind, it could easily get worse.Try looking at the tiebreaker scenarios.
|Potential tiebreaker matchups based on coin flips:|
NL WILD CARD
Philadelphia at San Diego
San Diego at Colorado
Philadelphia at Colorado
Arizona at San Diego
Arizona at Colorado
Arizona at Philadelphia
San Diego at New York
New York at Colorado
NY Mets at Philadelphia
San Diego at Arizona
Colorado at Arizona
Colorado at San Diego
Just for the sake of discussion, let's say the Mets, Phillies, Padres and Diamondbacks finish with the same record. Here's how that would work: • The Mets and Phillies play a one-game playoff Monday in Philadelphia to decide the NL East. • The Padres and Diamondbacks play a one-game playoff Monday in Arizona to decide the NL West. • The losers then play Tuesday to decide the wild card. A Diamondbacks-Phillies game would be played in Philadelphia. A Padres-Phillies game would be in San Diego. And if the Mets are involved, they would play Arizona or San Diego at home, but they would have to go to Coors Field if they wind up playing it off with Colorado. Amazingly, the Mets and D-backs didn't find any of that out until Thursday, because back when the original wild-card scenarios were determined, nobody at MLB apparently envisioned that those scenarios would include New York or Arizona. Uh, oops. So a whole lot of frantic coin-flipping went on Thursday to sort all this out. More four-team craziness: If two NL West teams and the two NL East teams all have the same record:
• It's still possible that the Phillies, Mets, Padres and a fourth team (either the Diamondbacks or Rockies but not both) could all have the same record. But that creates two different scenarios -- one if there is a tie for the NL West title, another if the NL West clubs finish tied for second (and the wild card). • If there's a tie for both the NL West and NL East titles, there would be tiebreaker games Monday in Philadelphia and San Diego. • Then the two losers would meet Tuesday. Here are the sites of those potential games:
- • Phillies-Padres in San Diego
• Phillies-Rockies in Colorado
• Phillies-Diamondbacks in Philadelphia
• Mets-Padres in New York
• Mets-Rockies in Colorado
• Mets-Diamondbacks in New York
- • In an Arizona-San Diego-New York three-way: Diamondbacks.
• In a Colorado -San Diego-New York three-way: Rockies.
• In an Arizona-San Diego-Philadelphia three-way: Diamondbacks.
• In a Colorado-San Diego-Philadelphia three-way: Rockies.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Pujols goes yard twice to join 500 HR club
- Source: Red Sox demote struggling OF Nava
- Athletics reject 10-year Coliseum lease offer
- MLB suspends Gomez, Maldonado, others
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica New York Mets Gary Carter #8 White Cooperstown Jersey