Somebody needs to step up in New York
NEW YORK -- The first inning was fresh, still filled with hope that somehow this team could crawl out of its comatose state and return to its winning ways. Then, before the inning was even over, the Mets' worst fears appeared in right field, glaring at them in bright orange numbers on the scoreboard: PHI 1, ATL 0.The bad news -- courtesy of the Phillies -- kept at a steady pace Thursday night, as did the Mets' uninspired play. They lost 3-0 to the Cardinals, then lost their division lead for the first time since May 15, a span of 136 days, after the Phillies beat Atlanta.
We're too good of a team to go down like this. I came here to have fun and win a championship. Unfortunately, I haven't been having too much fun the past couple of weeks.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- Source: Cubs' Castro sues after $3.6M seized
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs New York Mets 'You Gotta Believe' Sign