CHICAGO -- Detroit's Carlos Guillen will shift from shortstop to first base next season.
Tigers manager Jim Leyland spoke with Guillen about the change
"It's OK," Guillen said before Friday night's game against the White Sox. "I don't have any problems. I want to help this team get better. We were in the World Series last year, and I want to bring us back."
Leyland said the team was making the move with Guillen's health in mind.
"Shortstop is a very stressful place anyway, and for a guy that's knees are roughed up pretty good, it's even more stressful," Leyland said.
Guillen has been on the disabled list five times since 1999 and has played more than 140 games only once in his career. He agreed in March to a $48 million, four-year contract extension through 2011.
"I think the biggest thing, as far as I'm concerned, is that I'll have him on the field all the time," Leyland said. "I think it will be a lot less stressful for him. You want to take care of your investments, and I think it's a perfect spot."