Royals decline Perez's $9 million option; Riske files for free agency
The Royals must pay Perez a $1.5 million buyout. Riske filed for free agency.
Designated hitter Mike Sweeney filed for free agency as well. Sweeney, the team's highest-paid player, has seen limited action the past few years because of chronic back problems and a knee injury in July. His $55 million, five-year contract expired after this season.
Perez was 8-11 with a 5.57 ERA in 26 starts this year. Riske went 1-4 with a 2.45 ERA and four saves in 65 relief appearances.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
- Pirates' Worley blanks Giants with 4-hitter
- Cabrera, Dickey help Jays trample Red Sox
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Youth Kansas City Royals 59Fifty Alternate Light Blue Authentic Hat