Yankee outfield will include Abreu after team exercises option
The Yankees had a midnight Friday deadline to decide on whether to exercise the option.
If the Yankees had declined the option, they would have paid Abreu a $2 million buyout. Abreu made $15,600,000 last season.
The 33-year-old right fielder overcame a slow start to hit .283 with 16 homers and 101 RBIs this year, when he finished second in the AL with 123 runs. He has reached 100 RBIs in five consecutive seasons.
"Bobby Abreu possesses a unique skill set and has proven to be a durable and reliable asset to this club," general manager Brian Cashman said. "Consistency has been a hallmark throughout his career."
New York acquired Abreu from Philadelphia in July 2006.
Information from ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney and The Associated Press is included in this report
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Dodgers OF Crawford to skip Australia series
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica New York Yankees Mickey Mantle #7 White Cooperstown Jersey