Ortiz has right knee surgery, expected back for spring training
The Red Sox said the operation at Massachusetts General Hospital shouldn't interfere with the designated hitter's training program.
Ortiz was bothered by the knee injury for much of the season but still played in 149 games. He sat out the penultimate game of the regular season after he received a cortisone shot in his knee that day.
He hit a career-high .332 this year, but his 35 homers and 117 RBIs were his lowest totals in the past four seasons. Ortiz led the AL with a .445 on-base percentage and was third with a .621 slugging percentage.
Ortiz played in all 14 postseason games, hitting .370 with a .696 slugging percentage, three homers and 10 RBIs for the World Series champions.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Verlander allows one hit in 1st spring start
- MRI shows ligament injury in Medlen's elbow
- Orioles' Machado disappointed by new deal
- Cahill jams knee; Arroyo might be delayed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Boston Red Sox David Ortiz #34 Alternate Red Jersey