Chavez has shoulder surgery, marking 3rd procedure in last two months
He is expected to begin physical therapy in about a week.
The six-time Gold Glove winner had right shoulder surgery Sept. 5 for a torn labrum and to repair a damaged biceps tendon and remove a loose body from the joint. Dr. Lewis Yocum performed that operation. Chavez had surgery on his back Oct. 9.
Chavez, who hit .240 with 15 home runs in an injury-shortened 2007 season, has struggled with back and arm problems for two years. The A's are hopeful he will be healthy come February for the start of spring training.
He appeared in just 90 games and spent the final two months of the year on the disabled list.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- Source: Cubs' Castro sues after $3.6M seized
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Oakland Athletics Authentic Cool Base Road Grey On-Field Jersey