Blum returns to Astros with $1.1M, one-year deal
Blum, 34, played for the Astros in 2002 and '03. He played for the Chicago White Sox in 2005 and hit the winning home run against Houston in the 14th inning of Game 3 of the World Series.
Last season, Blum hit .252 with five home runs and 33 RBI for San Diego. He appeared in 122 games, starting 55 at second base. He also saw time at the other three infield positions and left field.
"We're happy to have Geoff back in an Astros uniform," said Houston general manager Ed Wade. "He is a very versatile player who can fill a lot of defensive roles and he swings a very good bat."
In two seasons with Houston, Blum hit .241 with 18 home runs and 87 RBIs in 235 games. His 110 hits in 2003 were a career high.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth Houston Astros Navy Sheen Tote