Ex-Cards outfielder Taguchi signs one-year deal with Phillies
The 38-year-old Taguchi led all National League pinch hitters with a .406 (13-32) batting average.
Taguchi played all three outfield positions for St. Louis in 2007, starting 41 times in center field, 21 times in left field and twice in right.
"Taguchi gives our team more defensive versatility in the outfield,'' assistant general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said in a statement released by the team. "And he has proven over his career that he can get key hits in big situations.''
As a member of the World Series champion Cardinals in 2006, Taguchi hit .400 (6-15) with two home runs and four RBIs in the playoffs. He started in three of the five World Series games.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Reds closer Chapman cleared to throw BP
- Yanks' Teixeira tests leg, 'couldn't be happier'
- Back spasms force early exit for Reds' Phillips
- Sizemore's scoop caps Yankees' triple play
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Philadelphia Phillies Royal Ice Jacket