Ex-Cards GM Jocketty will be special assistant to Reds' CEO
Jocketty left the Cardinals in October after 13 seasons, one year after the team won the World Series for the first time since 1982.
"We are fortunate to be able to add to our baseball department someone who has had as much success in the game as Walt. Clearly, he is a proven winner and his experience will be invaluable to me and to our entire organization," Castellini said. "He wants to keep his hand in baseball this season. When you have the chance to hire someone with his credentials, you have to take advantage of that opportunity. We're doing everything we can to improve our franchise."
Jocketty departed after front-office friction developed in a season in which the team slumped to a 78-win finish. Jocketty had helped the team reach the postseason seven times in 12 seasons, one of the best stretches in franchise history.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Tanaka has partially torn UCL, will try rehab
- Kershaw's streak ends at 41 IP in CG gem
- Rangers' Fielder focused on healing, not playing
- Cards' Molina has torn ligament, needs surgery
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Cincinnati Reds Dark Red Relax Long Sleeve Shirt