No word on return but Schmidt rehab going well
LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti delivered an encouraging report Wednesday on pitcher Jason Schmidt, limited to six starts last year before undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery.
"If he continues to progress, there's a great chance he'll be ready to go [when next season begins]," Colletti said during a workout for Los Angeles prospects at Dodger Stadium. "We've had nothing to discourage us. He's been throwing for a while now. He'll continue to build his arm strength.
"Everything's where it's supposed to be right now after what he's gone through."
Dodgers trainer Stan Conte plans to visit Schmidt at the pitcher's home in Scottsdale, Ariz., during the first week of February -- shortly before pitchers and catchers report to spring training.
"I want to make his transition from rehab into spring training as smooth as possible," Conte said.
Schmidt has traveled to Los Angeles during the offseason, and Conte said he's been in contact with physical therapist Brett Fischer, who is handling the rehab for the 34-year-old right-hander.
Conte expressed cautious optimism but wouldn't look too far ahead.
"Where he is right now is a great place," Conte said. "There have not been any setbacks at this point. He's thrown off the mound, starting last week. We like where he is right now."
When asked what would be next, Conte replied: "Higher intensity."
"We're doing OK today. We've got a significant amount to do yet," Conte said.
While Conte said he hopes Schmidt will be ready to go when the season starts, the trainer added: "We're not getting into that, we're not setting any dates at all."
Conte said Schmidt has been throwing on flat ground several times a week for some time. Since starting to throw off a mound, Schmidt has thrown some 10 or 15 pitches per session, and without much velocity.
"Jason knows what's at stake here," Conte said. "We want him to get better every day."
Schmidt, who signed a three-year, $47 million contract with the Dodgers last winter, was 1-4 with a 6.31 ERA before undergoing surgery June 20 to repair an inflamed bursa, a torn labrum and a frayed biceps tendon in his right shoulder.
"I think Andy and Nomar are two good options at third base," Colletti said. "We're going to let them figure it out. I think it's unfair to either player to have a preconceived notion as to how it's going to turn out. I think it's a situation that ought to be debated on the field."
The 34-year-old Garciaparra began last season as the Dodgers' first baseman, but was moved to third with the emergence of James Loney. Garciaparra played in 121 games and hit .283 with seven homers and 59 RBIs.
The 24-year-old LaRoche made his big league debut last year, playing in 35 games for the Dodgers and hitting .226 with one homer and 10 RBIs.
Colletti said it's likely that LaRoche will make the team even if Garciaparra beats him out at third base.
LaRoche has been participating in the winter workouts and spent time working with new Dodgers hitting coach Don Mattingly.
"It was great getting to know him. Everything he said sunk in," LaRoche said. "I think I'm a lot better prepared going into spring training than I've ever been. I got my cup of coffee last year a couple times, kind of learned what it was all about."
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Giants likely lose Cain for '14 to elbow injury
- Goldschmidt (hand) awaits results of X-rays
- Harvey throws off mound, eyes 2014 return
- Cespedes-less A's blanked by Royals