Clemens considering Astros' invitation to appear at pitching camp
HOUSTON -- One of Roger Clemens' agents said the embattled pitcher is considering whether to accept an invitation to appear at a Houston Astros pitching camp and appreciates the Astros "standing by him" while he fends off allegations of steroids use made by a former trainer.
In an e-mail to The Associated Press, Clemens' agent Randy Hendricks, wrote: "He knows he is welcome and appreciates the Astros standing by him. He would love to be with the kids but doesn't want to be a distraction. He will decide later what to do."
Astros spokesman Jimmy Stanton declined to comment.
Astros general manager Ed Wade told Houston television station KRIV that Clemens is "welcome to attend" the Nolan Ryan Elite Pitching and Jeff Bagwell Elite Hitting Camps, which begin Monday at Minute Maid Park. Clemens has helped out at the camp in previous years.
"I asked Roger's representatives to get back with me and I reinforced the fact that this is a media event and our season ticket-holders will be present on Monday," Wade told the station.
Clemens has repeatedly denied accusations made by a former trainer that the trainer injected Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone. Clemens said the injections were for vitamin B-12 and the painkiller lidocaine.
The trainer's accusations were included last month in the Mitchell report on performance-enhancing drugs in baseball.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
CLEMENS RESPONDS TO MITCHELL
Clemens v. McNamee• Judge allows Clemens to keep Hardin in lawsuit
• Lawyer talking with Clemens about dropping suit
• McNamee selling signed Clemens items on eBay
• Clemens' suit vs. McNamee moved to federal court
• Q&A with Rusty Hardin (transcript)
• Clemens denies steroid use in taped conversation
• Press conference : The phone call | Clemens
• Clemens sues McNamee | Read it (.pdf)
• Wojciechowski: Roger vs. reality
• Steinbrenner: Don't rush to judgment
The '60 Minutes' interview• Clemens would consider lie-detector test
• Report: Clemens, McNamee have 'emotional' call
• Clemens: Injections were 'Lidocaine and B-12'
• Wojciechowski: Wallace needs to come up and in
The Mitchell report• Mitchell delivers his report | Read it (pdf)
• Players: Who's named in the report
• Recommendations from the report
• Report reaction: What they're saying
• Drugs listed in report | The Dope On Steroids
• Evidence may limit Selig's punishment choices
• Mitchell defends naming stars in report
• Owners praise Selig, support extended tenure
More News• Clemens issues apology for personal 'mistakes'
• Report: Clemens had relationship with country star
• Clemens appears at Astros minicamp
• Clemens' son steps up to defend father
• Clemens' pre-hearing meeting postponed
• Reports: New name surfaces in Clemens saga
• Torre on fence between Clemens and McNamee
• Texas group keeps Clemens as speaker
• Report: Clemens' attorney hires PIs
• Report: Clemens' attorney launches own probe
• Clemens 'almost numb' to steroid accusations
• Jeter warns against rush to judgment on Clemens
• Schilling: If Clemens guilty, take back Cy Youngs
• Clemens fires back, denies taking steroids, HGH
• Texas group ponders eliminating Clemens speech
• Justice: Clemens should speak out if he's clean
• Duquette mum on allegations against Clemens