Giants, pitcher Correia agree to 1-year deal to avoid arbitration
Correia is slated to be the team's fifth starter this season after going 3-1 with a 2.54 ERA in eight starts over the final six weeks of last season. He started the season in the bullpen, and went 4-7 with a 3.45 ERA in 101 2-3 innings overall.
Correia, who made $400,000 last season, asked for $1.3 million, while the Giants offered $850,000. The two sides settled at the midpoint. Correia can earn an additional $75,000 in performance bonuses, getting $25,000 each for making 25, 27 and 29 starts as a pitcher.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Verlander allows one hit in 1st spring start
- MRI shows ligament injury in Medlen's elbow
- Orioles' Machado disappointed by new deal
- Cahill jams knee; Arroyo might be delayed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's San Francisco Giants White/Black Crush T-Shirt