McNamee's lawyers granted motion to move suit to federal court
HOUSTON -- Roger Clemens' defamation lawsuit against his former trainer, Brian McNamee, over his claims of injecting the seven-time Cy Young Award winner with performance-enhancing drugs has been moved to federal court.
Clemens filed the suit last month in Harris County District Court in Houston.
But Monday, McNamee's attorneys had it moved to Houston federal court. In their motion, his attorneys wrote the court has jurisdiction because the case is between residents of two states and that Clemens likely will seek more than $75,000 in damages -- two criteria needed for a transfer to federal court.
The initial pretrial conference is set for April 4.
In the Mitchell report, McNamee claimed he injected Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone at least 16 times in 1998, 2000 and 2001. Clemens claimed in his suit that the statements McNamee made were "untrue and defamatory."
McNamee's attorneys have not filed their response to Clemens' suit.
Clemens and McNamee are set to testify before a congressional hearing Wednesday on the Mitchell report, which looked at the use of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs in baseball.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves suspend struggling Uggla for 1 game
- Wright to get shot to aid shoulder at break
- Reds' Simon among 4 pitchers added to ASG
- Grand record: batterymates slam for S.F.
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
CLEMENS RESPONDS TO MITCHELL
Clemens v. McNamee• Judge allows Clemens to keep Hardin in lawsuit
• Lawyer talking with Clemens about dropping suit
• McNamee selling signed Clemens items on eBay
• Clemens' suit vs. McNamee moved to federal court
• Q&A with Rusty Hardin (transcript)
• Clemens denies steroid use in taped conversation
• Press conference : The phone call | Clemens
• Clemens sues McNamee | Read it (.pdf)
• Wojciechowski: Roger vs. reality
• Steinbrenner: Don't rush to judgment
The '60 Minutes' interview• Clemens would consider lie-detector test
• Report: Clemens, McNamee have 'emotional' call
• Clemens: Injections were 'Lidocaine and B-12'
• Wojciechowski: Wallace needs to come up and in
The Mitchell report• Mitchell delivers his report | Read it (pdf)
• Players: Who's named in the report
• Recommendations from the report
• Report reaction: What they're saying
• Drugs listed in report | The Dope On Steroids
• Evidence may limit Selig's punishment choices
• Mitchell defends naming stars in report
• Owners praise Selig, support extended tenure
More News• Clemens issues apology for personal 'mistakes'
• Report: Clemens had relationship with country star
• Clemens appears at Astros minicamp
• Clemens' son steps up to defend father
• Clemens' pre-hearing meeting postponed
• Reports: New name surfaces in Clemens saga
• Torre on fence between Clemens and McNamee
• Texas group keeps Clemens as speaker
• Report: Clemens' attorney hires PIs
• Report: Clemens' attorney launches own probe
• Clemens 'almost numb' to steroid accusations
• Jeter warns against rush to judgment on Clemens
• Schilling: If Clemens guilty, take back Cy Youngs
• Clemens fires back, denies taking steroids, HGH
• Texas group ponders eliminating Clemens speech
• Justice: Clemens should speak out if he's clean
• Duquette mum on allegations against Clemens