A-Rod has mild quad strain, will rejoin Yanks in Chicago on Tuesday
He will be evaluated again Tuesday, according to Yankees spokesman Jason Zillo, who was unsure whether A-Rod would be available to play in the series opener.
A-Rod was injured Sunday in New York's 7-1 win at Baltimore. He returned to New York to be examined rather than accompany the team to Chicago, where the Yankees start a series against the White Sox on Tuesday night. Rodriguez was to see a physical therapist later Monday, Zillo said.
Commenting on a variety of Yankees topics from the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla., co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner said Rodriguez's status is day to day.
"They told me he's going to be fine," Steinbrenner said. "It's not going to be a big deal."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Replica New York Yankees Alex Rodriguez #13 Home White Jersey