Twins' Liriano demoted to Triple-A Rochester after poor start
Liriano was sent to Triple-A Rochester before Friday night's game at Texas, and it was not a surprise. He gave up six runs and got only two outs on Thursday against Oakland, his latest failure to find the strike zone in a return from reconstructive elbow surgery.
"He knew he needed to improve. It wasn't a shocker to him," manager Ron Gardenhire said. "He saw where he was at and he knows he's got work to do. Maybe he can clear his head, get after it down there and get back up here."
Right-hander Bobby Korecky was recalled from Rochester to take Liriano's roster spot. Korecky was the closer for Rochester, going 2-1 with an 0.68 ERA and five saves in 13 1/3 innings.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Ryu, Dodgers 1st to have 3 11-game winners
- Jones' 2 homers power Orioles past Angels
- Ortiz (2 HRs) passes Yastrzemski in Sox rout
- Verlander moves to 3rd in Tigers K's in win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Extended Sizes - Majestic Men's Authentic Minnesota Twins Joe Mauer #7 Cool Base Alternate Ivory Jersey w/ '14 ASG Patch