Smoltz leaves start vs. Mets with discomfort in throwing shoulder
The Braves right-hander allowed four runs and seven hits in a season-low four innings. He also gave up his first two home runs of the season.
Smoltz (3-2) came in having allowed just two runs in his first four starts, for a 0.78 ERA.
Smoltz said the discomfort prevented him from delivering pitches the way he wanted. He was vague about what will happen next.
"The next couple of days I should know what paths we're looking at," Smoltz said.
Smoltz started the season on the disabled list with tightness in the back of the shoulder.
"He's been dominating all season," manager Bobby Cox said. "This is the only time he didn't dominate."
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
- Source: Cubs' Castro sues after $3.6M seized
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Atlanta Braves Jason Heyward #22 Authentic Cool Base Alternate Ivory On-Field Jersey