Nats' Kearns will have elbow surgery, sit for 3-4 weeks
Kearns will have an arthroscopic procedure to remove bone fragments in his throwing elbow. He was placed on the 15-day disabled list Thursday. The Nationals will make a corresponding roster move prior to Friday's series opener against the Milwaukee Brewers.
Kearns has struggled all season, batting .187 with three home runs and 16 RBIs.
The Nationals now have seven players on the disabled list, including four members of the opening night starting lineup: Kearns, first baseman Nick Johnson, catcher Paul Lo Duca and second baseman Ronnie Belliard. Closer Chad Cordero is also on the DL.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Cano thanks N.Y., finalizes big Mariners deal
- Rule 5 pick Nieto on Biogenesis clinic list
- Source: Joba, Tigers agree on 1-year deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth Washington Nationals Red Sheen Tote