Red Sox game moved one hour earlier to not conflict with Celtics' Game 1
Red Sox President and Chief Executive Officer Larry Lucchino announced the decision Saturday, saying he will also be rooting for the Celtics as they look for a record 17th NBA championship.
The Rays-Red Sox game will now start at 6:05 p.m. EDT. The Lakers and Celtics are scheduled to begin at 9 p.m.
Boston last won basketball's most coveted trophy in 1986. The Lakers beat the Celtics in 1987, won again against Detroit in 1988 and then added three more trophies in the Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal era.
The Celtics have missed the playoffs entirely nine times from 1994-2007.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Tigers' Iglesias says he has stress fractures
- Braves' Medlen, Beachy see Dr. Andrews
- Verlander tabbed to start 7th opener in row
- Lefty Lee to start Phillies' opener at Texas
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Boston Red Sox Jungle Cat Camo Adjustable Hat