Halladay on track for next start after liner to head; Marcum to DL
PITTSBURGH -- A day after being hit in the head with a line drive, Toronto's Roy Halladay said Saturday that he was "fine" and wouldn't miss his next start.
The news wasn't as good for fellow Blue Jays starter Shaun Marcum, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained right elbow.
"Hopefully, we'll get good news and then after 7-10 days of a rest period, we'll make a decision and go from there," Blue Jays pitching coach Brad Arnsberg said.
The team recalled outfielder Adam Lind from the minors to take Marcum's place on the roster.
Halladay had pitched seven shutout innings to that point. The ball deflected off him and into the glove of third baseman Scott Rolen, who recorded the out with the bases loaded.
The 2003 Cy Young Award winner left the game immediately.
Halladay had a CAT scan taken, and no broken bones were detected. He said that after the initial shock, he did not suffer from any headaches or other ill effects Friday night or Saturday.
"Everything checked out, so it's just back to normal," he said.
Halladay's next scheduled start is Thursday against the Cincinnati Reds. He is 8-6 with a 2.90 ERA this season, and his career record is 119-61.
Though Marcum had been pitching well recently -- having given up only nine earned runs in his past five starts -- Arnsberg said that his elbow had been bothering him over about the past two weeks.
A 24-year-old left fielder, Lind had appeared in 113 games for the Blue Jays over the past three seasons, hitting .249 with 13 home runs and 54 RBIs.
This season he was only 1-for-19 in a previous stint in Toronto but performed much better for Triple-A Syracuse, where Lind hit .328 with 17 doubles, six home runs and a .394 on-base percentage in 51 games.
New Toronto manager Cito Gaston said no decision had been made on who will ultimately take Marcum's place in the starting rotation.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press