Ricciardi says Burnett is staying put in Toronto
Asked whether the Blue Jays would deal Burnett before Thursday's trade deadline, general manager J.P. Ricciardi was emphatic.
"He's not going anywhere," Ricciardi said before Burnett pitched Monday against Tampa Bay.
Burnett is in the third year of a five-year, $55 million contract. He can opt out of the deal after this season.
Burnett took an 11-9 record and 4.73 ERA into his start against the Rays. The righty won a career-high 12 games with Florida in 2002 and matched that total in 2005.
Toronto was 8½ games behind AL East-leading Tampa Bay going into the start of the series.
Also Monday, the Blue Jays purchased the contract of right-hander Scott Richmond from Triple-A Syracuse and placed left-hander Brian Tallet (broken toe) on the 15-day disabled list. Richmond will start against Tampa Bay on Wednesday with left-hander John Parrish moving to the bullpen after going 1-0 with a 4.71 ERA in four starts.
Tallet, 0-1 with a 3.03 ERA in 37 games, was injured when he stubbed his toe while walking through his darkened apartment one night last week.
To make room for Richmond on the 40-man roster, the Blue Jays transferred second baseman Aaron Hill to the 60-day disabled list. Hill has not played since colliding with teammate David Eckstein on May 29 and there is no timetable for his return. Ricciardi conceded that Hill's season may be over.
"You never want to say never, but right now it's not looking good," Ricciardi said.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Announcer: Sweets sunk Chapman Sunday
- Mattingly on hot seat rumors: 'I'm still here'
- Corbin (7-0) confounds Rockies with 10 K's
- Kemp homers to support Kershaw's 3-hitter