Heavy-hearted Martinez ready to focus on pitching after father's funeral
The right-hander said baseball has been an afterthought, but he'll now make pitching a priority as he prepares to start Friday against the Houston Astros.
"All the distractions were a little uncomfortable to deal with," Martinez said, "but now I know he's at peace."
Martinez was activated from the bereavement list, and the Mets optioned left-hander Willie Collazo to Triple-A New Orleans.
Martinez's father, Paulino, died last Wednesday at age 79 after a long battle with brain cancer. The funeral and burial were Friday.
"It hasn't been easy, but it's time to work and put it all behind and start looking forward to the pitching," said Martinez, who threw a bullpen session before Tuesday's game against Florida.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's New York Mets "Raise The Apple" Local Royal T-Shirt