Marlins trade prospect Hernandez for left-hander Rhodes
Law: Good Deal For M's
The Mariners got good return for trading a situational left-handed reliever, Keith Law writes. Blog
Florida, in the thick of the NL East and wild-card races, made the deal a few hours before baseball's 4 p.m. ET trade deadline.
The 38-year-old Rhodes is 2-1 with a 2.86 ERA with 26 strikeouts in 22 innings. He has a lifetime record of 77-61 with a 4.28 ERA in 689 games.
Rhodes' career appeared in jeopardy when he underwent Tommy John surgery in May 2007. But he came back ahead of schedule this year, returned to the Mariners in mid-April and pitched effectively.
Rhodes was the Mariners' main lefty setup man after they traded George Sherrill to Baltimore in an offseason deal for Erik Bedard. But Seattle's season quickly fell apart and with so few save opportunities for the bullpen, Rhodes wound up as a situational lefty.
Mariners vice president and general manager Lee Pelekoudas said the opportunity to trade a veteran for a prospect was the right move as his team points toward next season.
"We felt the opportunity to acquire a young pitcher made sense as we look toward 2009 and beyond," Pelekoudas said. "Pedro Grifol, our minor league field coordinator, has known Gaby for several years and believes he has a chance to help us in the future."
The 21-year-old Hernandez went a combined 5-8 this season with a 6.47 ERA in 17 starts for Triple-A Albuquerque and Double-A Carolina.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
TRADE DEADLINE: JULY 31, 2008
Baseball's July 31 trade deadline passed with a blockbuster: Manny Ramirez from the Red Sox to the Dodgers and Jason Bay from the Pirates to the Red Sox in a three-team deal.
• Updated trade deadline blog | Fantasy spins blog
• Rumor Central
• 2008 Trade Scorecard
• Manny traded to LA; Bay to Red Sox
• Law: Griffey helps White Sox's offense
• Griffey OKs deal from Reds to White Sox
• Law: M's get good deal for Rhodes
• Marlins acquire M's lefty Rhodes
• Ramirez reportedly on block
• Yankees acquire Pudge from Tigers
• Stark Market: Five who could be dealt
• Starting 9: Deals perceived differently now
• Baseball Today: Buster Olney on Teixeira, Bay
• Keith Law: Teixeira perfect for Angels
• Buster Olney on Teixeira trade
• Fantasy: Trade spin on Teixeira deal
• Vote: A good trade for Angels?
• Angels acquire Teixeira from Braves
• Stark Market: Rockies in flux over Fuentes
• Baseball Today: Steve Phillips on trade talk
• Stark Market: Braves looking to deal Teixeira
• Steve Phillips: MLB Trade Rumors
• Peter Gammons: Ramirez trade unlikely
• Indians trade Blake to Dodgers
• Yanks get Nady, Marte from Pirates
• Brewers get Durham from Giants
• Phillies get Blanton from A's
• Stark: Harden a risk, potential reward
• Cubs deal for Harden from A's
• Indians trade Sabathia to Brewers