Kent to have surgery on left knee, not ruled out for season
The 40-year-old Kent can begin rehabilitation soon after the operation and might return by the end of the season, manager Joe Torre said.
"We'll see what happens," Torre said. "I know one thing: If there's a chance he'll come back, he's going to come back."
Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said the club will place Kent on the 15-day disabled list and recall infielder Chin-lung Hu from Triple-A Las Vegas.
Kent is batting .275 with 11 homers and 57 RBIs.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
- Rockies get OF Stubbs in trade with Indians
- Court rules MLB can depose A-Rod's cousin
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Triple Peak Men's Los Angeles Dodgers Zack Greinke Black T-Shirt