Kent to have surgery on left knee, not ruled out for season
The 40-year-old Kent can begin rehabilitation soon after the operation and might return by the end of the season, manager Joe Torre said.
"We'll see what happens," Torre said. "I know one thing: If there's a chance he'll come back, he's going to come back."
Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said the club will place Kent on the 15-day disabled list and recall infielder Chin-lung Hu from Triple-A Las Vegas.
Kent is batting .275 with 11 homers and 57 RBIs.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Yankees' Pineda banned 10 games by MLB
- Sosa to 'clear it up,' sad to miss Cubs party
- Tommy John stunned by surgery 'epidemic'
- Reds' Chapman faces hitters, is 'electrifying'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Los Angeles Dodgers Royal Cool Base Batting Practice Jersey