Cards' Mather breaks hand, will miss rest of season
PHOENIX -- St. Louis will be without Joe Mather for the rest of the season because of a broken bone in his left hand.
The 26-year-old outfielder was injured while swinging at a pitch in the Cardinals' 8-6 loss to Arizona on Monday. He will undergo surgery to repair the broken hamate bone, team officials said.
Mather, recalled from Triple-A Memphis on July 21, hit a solo home run Monday before he was injured. He was hitting .241 with eight home runs and 18 RBIs in 133 at-bats.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Fanmats St. Louis Cardinals Team Carpet Tiles