Phillies' Smith suspended, fined for argument with umpires in Chicago
NEW YORK -- Philadelphia Phillies third-base coach Steve Smith was suspended Thursday for two games and fined because of an argument with umpires during a game in Chicago last week.
The first baseman retrieved the ball, tossed to pitcher Jeff Samardzija covering the bag and first base umpire Chris Guccione called Howard out. Smith and Phillies manager Charlie Manuel argued with Guccione and plate umpire Bill Welke, and Smith was ejected by Welke.
Smith is scheduled to begin serving his suspension Friday night when the Phillies play the New York Mets.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Philadelphia Phillies Classic Frozen Rope Baseball Necklace