Willis, Garcia to start for Tigers
After spending most of the season at Class A Lakeland working on his control, Willis will start at the Texas Rangers next Monday night.
Willis was acquired from the Florida Marlins last December along with Miguel Cabrera, and the 2003 NL rookie of the year was bothered by a knee injury early in the season. He went 0-1 with a 10.32 ERA in four starts and one relief appearance for the Tigers.
Garcia, who hasn't pitched in the major leagues since June 2007, is to start at Texas on Sept. 17. After recovering from shoulder surgery, the 33-year-old right-hander agreed to a minor-league deal with the Tigers last month and pitched a combined five scoreless innings in two starts with Lakeland and Triple-A Toledo.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kershaw: No problems after simulated game
- Early brawl mars Brewers' win in 14 innings
- Yanks' Nova to DL with elbow ligament tear
- Red Sox notch walk-off victory on O's error
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Detroit Tigers Classic Keychain