Rain forces Red Sox to delay retirement of Pesky's No. 6
BOSTON -- Rainy weather has delayed plans by the Boston Red Sox to retire Johnny Pesky's number.
The team has rescheduled the Fenway Park ceremony to Sunday, prior to the afternoon game against the New York Yankees.
Red Sox officials were still hoping to go ahead with Friday night's game against the Yankees, but because of the uncertainty of the weather and the potential delay in the game's 7:05 p.m. start time, the decision was made to move the ceremony to Sunday.
Pesky, who wore No. 6, played eight seasons for the Red Sox but has been associated with the team for 57 years. He turns 89 on Saturday.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB briefs managers, GMs on replay system
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- Reports: Yanks nix Gardner-for-Phillips deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Boston Red Sox Classic Full-Zip Red Hooded Sweatshirt