Mets set to announce new Minaya deal
NEW YORK -- The New York Mets scheduled a telephone news conference for Thursday to announce a new contract for general manager Omar Minaya.
Minaya became general manager after the 2005 season and was given a four-year contract. The Mets made it to Game 7 of the NL Championship Series in his first season but were eliminated from postseason contention on the last day of the regular season in 2007 and this year.
After Minaya's deal is finalized, the Mets will likely turn their attention to a contract for Jerry Manuel, who became interim manager in June when Willie Randolph was fired.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Mattingly voices worry over threats to Puig
- Dodgers' Ramirez hit on hand, to miss game
- Red Sox 1B Napoli (finger) returns to lineup
- Rangers ride red-hot Kouzmanoff past M's
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's New York Mets Victory Royal/Grey Polo Shirt