Mets keep Johnson, Warthen, Alomars; hire Niemann, Shines
NEW YORK -- Randy Niemann is becoming the New York Mets' bullpen coach for the third time, and Razor Shines was hired as third-base coach under manager Jerry Manuel.
Howard Johnson (hitting coach), Dan Warthen (pitching coach), Sandy Alomar Sr. (bench coach) and Sandy Alomar Jr. (catching instructor) will return. The first-base slot remains open.
The Mets said Thursday they are reassigning bullpen coach Guy Conti, third-base coach Luis Aguayo and first-base coach Ken Oberkfell. Conti had been bullpen coach for four seasons.
Niemann is entering his 22nd year with the Mets and was bullpen coach from 1997 to mid-1999 and 2000-02. He spent the past two years as minor league rehabilitation coordinator.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Yankees' Nova leaves with injury, gets MRI
- Scherzer tops Angels for 1st win of season
- Alvarez faces 1 over minimum, silences M's
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs Shea Stadium Street Sign