Matsuzaka says he's ready to help Japan defend WBC title
Matsuzaka, the MVP of the 2006 tournament, said Thursday he will start preparing for the WBC in December.
"I'll accept the offer if I'm asked to play," Matsuzaka said. "I'll pick up the pace of my training in December so that I won't have to scramble at the last minute."
The right-hander went 3-0 in the 2006 WBC with a 1.38 ERA. One of his wins came in the final against Cuba.
Matsuzaka said he was pleased with his second season for Boston, where he went 18-3.
"I won 18 games, but in the United States people severely look at the way you perform," he said. "I had a fulfilling season, though, with both good and bad experiences."
Yomiuri Giants manager Tatsunori Hara will guide Japan's team.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Boston Red Sox Jon Lester #31 Alternate Home White Jersey