Varitek's agent says Red Sox have stated interest in catcher's return for '09
"We've had no financial discussions with the team as of yet regarding Jason," agent Scott Boras said. "We met briefly when the club expressed interest in bringing Jason back. And we told them we were interested in looking into it. It was something we agreed to discuss in the future. So I'm sure sometime after Thanksgiving we'll sit down and talk about it."
Varitek filed for free agency after 11 years with the Red Sox in which he grew particularly valuable for his defense and handling of the pitching staff. His offensive numbers dropped this season, when he batted .220 with 13 homers and 43 RBIs in the final season of a four-year, $40 million contract he signed in 2004 after the Red Sox won their first World Series title in 86 years.
Boston general manager Theo Epstein did not immediately return an e-mail seeking comment.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Hamels slated to make season debut in L.A.
- Stanton's walk-off GS lifts Marlins over M's
- Pujols belts No. 497 in Angels' rout of Tigers
- Mets trade 1B Davis to Pirates for reliever
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Boston Red Sox Carlton Fisk #27 White Cooperstown Jersey