Red Sox believe Baldelli can contribute
The Boston Red Sox agreed to a deal with free-agent outfielder Rocco Baldelli on Thursday. It is expected to be officially announced at the Boston Baseball Writers Dinner, where Baldelli will be honored.
Baldelli, 27, has been limited to 155 games the last three years because of a mitochondrian disorder, a condition that leaves him feeling extremely fatigued after just a brief workout.
Baldelli recently underwent a series of tests as Massachusetts General Hospital and the results were positive. The Red Sox were struck by Baldelli's persona and are optimistic he can be a significant contributor in 2009.
Peter Gammons covers Major League Baseball for ESPN.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Red Sox trade Lester to A's for Cespedes
- Source: Cardinals get Lackey from Red Sox
- Athletics send LHP Milone to Twins for Fuld
- Presidential farewell: Jeter honored by Bush
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Boston Red Sox White Cooperstown Jersey